Drawing on current national education research, the Sidney Gutierrez Middle School is resolved to:
- Improving results for students by setting high standards;
- Adopting clear accountability measures;
- Building partnerships with parents, businesses and communities;
- Involving teachers, students and parents in the decision-making process of the school;
- Implementing content and performance-based standards and benchmarks; and
- Engaging in applied, differentiated and authentic learning practices.
Key Approaches to Achieving Goals
The administration and staff of the SGMS continually work towards establishing effective learning experiences for its students. Students in the school are provided opportunities to think creatively and explore their interests across disciplines by constructing knowledge and personal meaning from new experiences offered in the school. The administration and staff of the school support a common core of curricular, instructional and organizational practices that include:
A second component of the approach to achieving the school’s goals is the process of authentic assessment. Students are assessed with authentic metrics and encouraged to achieve situational mastery of content at their level of competency before advancing. Student demonstration, problem-based learning, projects, as well as teacher-, peer-, and self-evaluation all comprise the components of the school’s assessment process. SGMS determines its set of standards for maintaining a connection to school goals for student achievement based in annual scrutiny of the school’s unique needs, strengths and vision while incorporating state and local mandates.